Monday 30 December 2013

Practise what you preach! 13 things in 2013

I seem to have got a bit preachy in my old age, I do apologise!  But all the same, I do believe you should practise what you preach... So approaching 2014, I thought I would look back on 2013 and pick out 13 things I achieved/learnt from/am thankful for.  I apologise now, take a seat.... This may be a long one ha!
*Number 1* A Mad Hatters Tea Party.

Who'dve thunk it!  What a way to turn 30, what a party to pull off, what an achievement!  I won't go on too much, I'm sure you're all bored with it by now! But if you want to read, here is the link...
http://mrssammyb13.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/a-mad-hatters-tea-party.html 

*Number 2* Mum's Surprise 50th Birthday Party.

On the party theme, we managed to pull off a surprise party for my lovely mum, and she knew nothing about it!  We managed to stop Dad keeling over with the stress of it all, we managed to behave semi normally around my Mum and not slip up and give the game away and we pulled it off without a hitch! I definitely think that is an achievement for 2013!

*Number 3* Holiday to West Africa.

I am very grateful to say I had a lovely 11 night holiday to The Gambia in West Africa in March this year.  We had a fab time and it was the first time we've been on holiday with my step daughter and it was lovely. Thank you J for having us to stay xx

*Number 4*  New Permament Job.

I am very grateful to say in a yucky 6 months of uncertainty, restructure and redundancy; that even though the sodding police didn't want me, I have secured a full time permanent contract within my organisation. Yes I am going to have to travel 60 miles a day to work, but it is a slight salary increase, a job I love and hope to be happy in.

*Number 5* Zumba

I have actually found an exercise class I love! I can't wait to get back and shake what my mumma gave me... Even if I am doing it all wrong and going the wrong way - at least I'm moving more and sitting less!!  Read a little more about it here... http://mrssammyb13.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/exercise-is-answer.html

*Number 6* Charitable Donations

Before, during and after my birthday I gave quite a lot to charity, intentionally of course! The props for my party, crockery etc were all bought from various charity shops and after the party, I sold all (well most of the props) and all the cash went straight to charity. 

My mum and I also took part in the Rucksack Project, we made 4 rucksacks filled with useful items for homeless people in Portsmouth. There are a couple of blog posts on here about this project, so do have a read if you fancy it!

The total from the props sold and cash given to charities was approx…..
The Rowans Hospice –£60
British Heart Foundation – £70
Cancer Research – £115
Womb Cancer Research - £50
*Number 7* Weight Watchers

Year upon year I've put on weight and just got fatter. This year I have stuck with weight watchers and although I haven't got to goal or even made a massive dent in the weight loss for one reason or another, I have stayed at it, I've lost some weight and put a little on, but I am NOT any heavier than this time last year, (Very tempted to write here, 2014 will be my year, but ahem* won't!).  All the time I am still trying, I have NOT failed.

*Number 8* Race For Life

We took part in the Race for Life again this year. It was hot, sticky, hard work, but we did it and we raised money for Cancer Research. Together we raised £205!

*Number 9* Became a Helper

At WW. I am a helper for our Saturday morning meetings in Hilsea.  Do come and join us - it's a lovely group and Donna is just such a lovely leader.  Her inspiration is unwavering and her support just the best. Thank you Donna for all your help and support x

*Number 10* Given Blood

When my sister was born, she needed 21 blood transfusions.  It would take me 6-7 years to be able to donate the amount of blood it took to keep her alive. It really is an hour out of your day, you even get a cuppa and a biscuit or packet of crisps out of it! I try and give blood as much as possible, but with 2 new tattoos this year and a trip to Africa I had to wait 4 months to go again, so have only given blood twice this year.  I know lots of people are unable to, but if you can, do go along - it's the least we can do!

*Number 11* Joined Organ Donor Register

I did this many years ago, but have got married moved etc, so thought I would ensure I was registered. This is really easy, a couple of clicks online and ta da! I have informed all my family of my wishes. When I'm gone, I won't need my organs any more, so I'd like to think someone else would benefit from them and make their life a little easier. Have a little look here.... http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk 
You never know if and when you or your loved one may need this service, so go on... join today :0)

*Number 12* Blogging

I'm still here and I still love it! Thank you to you all for reading and encouraging me. You are all amazing! Much love xx

*Number 13* I Survived

2013 has been and is about to go.  I've lived it, the good bits, the proud bits, the bad bits, the tragic bits. My friends and family have helped and supported me and I hope I have done the same for them. I have learnt loads, achieved loads, cried loads and made loads of memories. Thank you all xx

So that's it, give your eyes a rest! Thank you for sticking with me till point 13 and to the end of 2013. If you haven't lost the will to live, have a go and list 13 or at least some things that went well for you for 2013.  Just so you can look back, be grateful, be proud and to remember the good bits as well as the bad.

TTFN, Sammy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment