Thursday 19 December 2013

I'm ready!!...

Well that’s it, I'm all ready!

 

For Christmas?..... No!!! 

 

But for my rucksack to be handed to a homeless person at Centre Point on Monday 23rd December 2013

 

This rucksack is my gift to a homeless person in Portsmouth this Christmas.  All together it cost me about £22.  We are encouraged to buy things from charity shops/donate items from home etc for the rucksack, but there are some items in there I bought new such as the toothbrushes, toothpaste, food, toiletries, pants and thermal vests.  The rucksack is mine, I bought it for a camping trip – never ever to be repeated, so it was just sat around doing nothing, so what better way to move it on! 

 

I did have a comment about how it is that someone could and does spend so much money on their rucksack and contents, but I didn’t see my £22 as lots of money; I looked at it as I would probably pay £30-£35 for hair cut for Christmas, I can deal with the inches and forego that haircut to provide for someone else, so really it actually saved me £8-£13!

 

I am so pleased to have found this event, to be part of it and to be able to have made a rucksack to make a small difference in a person life.  Reading (most) of the comments on the Portsmouth events page has really restored my faith in humanity.  Various people offering help, people offering lifts, people just generally pulling together all for the same cause – its just amazing.

 

Julie Eden is an amazing lady to have co-ordinated all of this for the Portsmouth area and to keep up with all the posts and questions on the events page, Julie truly is an inspirational lady.  Sadly I have to workon Monday 23rd on the day of the actual event, so I will be dropping my pack off on Saturday, but I know the organiser and the volunteers at Centre Point will do a brilliant job of passing my gift on.  Thank you all for making this happen.

 

Remember…. The days are getting colder, have a warm heart.

 

I was once told by a small African boy, ‘It’s nice to be nice’, and he’s right it is.  This month hasn’t been the greatest and this is the only thing that has made me feel remotely Christmassy so far this year and so proud to be giving a worthwhile gift at this time of year.


Well done everyone and Merry Christmas! xxx

 

My bag and its contents….

Rucksack

Sleeping Bag

Scarf

Gloves

2xHats

3xJumpers

Dried Nuts

Dried Fruit

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Socks

Mugshots

Cup a Soups

Noodle box

Flask

Spoon

Pack of Thermal Tshirts

Pack of pants

Bars of Chocolate

Wet wipes

Foot gel

Bag of mints

Small box of Quality Street

No comments:

Post a Comment