Sunday 17 January 2016

You know you're a 30-something-year old when...

I turned 30 a few years ago now, I can’t say that 30 was a massive deal for me – it was something I was looking forward to and I’m quite comfortable with it.  Lots of people worry, but hey – age is just a number!

 

I have however noticed that things are slightly different when you hit 30 and you’re supposed to be a grown up!  I’m now into the scary tick box that includes the age of 40 as well….  This has got me thinking well and truly about how things change.  It’s quite scary really!


People now born in the late 90’s are old enough to buy houses.  

When did this happen?  I’m pretty sure I didn’t leave school till the late 90’s and sometimes I don’t feel like I’m old enough to be a homeowner!


Speaking of the 90’s, that was only 5-10 years ago right?  

No…. nearer 30?  Ouch.


Not everyone you speak to will know what Opal Fruits are.  

Seriously.  Opal Fruits. Or Jif cleaner and marathons…. It makes my head hurt.


Children are having babies.  

Not necessarily children, but children as you knew them.  So now, friend’s much younger siblings - who you can only imagine being 6, are now getting married and having babies.  That is enough to make anyone feel old.


A night out versus a night in your dressing gown.  

Honestly nothing could be more appealing than a glass of wine in a hot bath with a good book and getting snuggly in front of Jonathan Ross in your dressing gown.  Going out?  Too much effort required I’m afraid.


And slippers – the best invention ever.  

I can totally see why my parents were always trying to make me wear my slippers, now I’m never out of them.


You receive more invites to funerals than weddings.  

Seriously everyone’s stopped getting married and now everyone and their relatives are dying instead.  I know it’s a sad fact of life, but gosh a reminder of your own mortality; could it get more depressing?


You actually actively seek out the news in any form - paper/internet/telly.  

It is no longer a filler in between telly programmes that is boring and you avoid.  Current affairs are interesting and you want to know them and be informed.


Today’s generation will never know what it’s like not to have a mobile phone as an extension of their hand.  

I didn’t have my first mobile phone till I was around 17/18ish?  Children, the same age as my favourite handbag now own them (and know how to use them better than me!) and their whole life is lived through that phone.  When we were 15 if we needed to ring home we’d find a pay phone.  It’s quite sad really.  Saying that I don’t even think pay phones exist anymore.


Today’s generation will also never know life prior to social media.  

Scary thought.


A lie in is where one stays in bed till 9am, what a luxury!  

Gone are the days of sleeping till midday at the weekend.  There is far too much to fit in to the weekend to be sleeping that late!

 

Well now I’ve shared a few things to depress you even more, I’m off to put my dressing gown and slippers on and watch the news!


TTFN, Sammy

 

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget that kids don't know what top of the pops was. Or that we didn't have iTunes or YouTube to get songs, we sat in front of a tape player listening to the charts and holding down play & record together praying you got the whole song.... Till the tape got chewed up and you had to use the end of a bic biro to wind it back in. Oh and if you didn't have the right type of tape you'd have to deal the top bit with sellotape so you could record it.

    Oh the good ole days x

    ReplyDelete