Wednesday 2 September 2015

Changing perception of the homeless

D'you know, being part of The Rucksack Project event for the last few years has made me think and see things very differently. 


Thinking about the event itself, even if you can't make a rucksack, even if you can't donate anything, if this raises awareness and makes you view a homeless person differently then it's been a success. Remember, they are people too, there can be many reasons they're sat on that cold floor in torrential rain, don't judge them, just have a heart. A smile, a handshake, a hug or just to acknowledge them could mean the world. 


3 years ago I wouldn't have dreamt of sitting down with a homeless stranger for a chat - now my husbands used to it or days/nights out.  He gets dragged along for the ride, and usually loses items of his clothing to my new friends!  


In Brighton last year, it was a bitterly cold day and we'd gone for a day out of boozing, lunch, seeing a show.  We stepped off the train and were confronted with a homeless chap, sat on the frozen floor freezing cold.  I didn't have anything to give him, so I took my gloves off and gave then to him, he was so thankful and so pleased and put them straight on. Can you imagine going out on a freezing cold day and forgetting your gloves?  You'd moan for a bit and get warmed up in the car or home wouldn't you? What if you had no home to go to get warm?

Our trip to Brighton lost us a few scarfs, hat, a few pairs of gloves and a couple of hot pasties and cups of tea. That's absolutely nothing really. It was no big deal for me, but to some of the people we met - we were the only people to even acknowledge them, let alone want to help in a tiny way.


Last weekend we met a chap at a bus shelter in Portsmouth, all I had to give was my last pack of tissues and some antibacterial hand gel - it was all I had in my handbag at that point in time but I'm willing to share. I learnt the guy was excited to be moving into a shared room on Friday and couldn't wait to have an address so he could finally get himself back in to work. I gave him a hug, Mr B a handshake and wished him all the luck in the world. 


These people are humans too and sometimes go for days without anyone even seeing them. Just a hello could mean the world of difference.

So... Go! Be the nice people I know you are ❤️ 

TTFN, Sammy xx


Ps... We obviously exercise the same caution as you would meeting any strangers. You wouldn't just approach people you don't know in the dark, I'm not advocating you put yourself in any danger and do remember, some people may not want to talk to you! xx


Pps... Cold weather and visiting in a town centre, pack extra gloves and socks on the off chance of giving a useful gift xx

No comments:

Post a Comment