Friday 10 October 2014

Couples holiday

Well as you know we’ve just come back from a lovely holiday in Turkey, two weeks of relaxing by the pool, the beach, long walks, lovely dinners and…. Couples bickering everywhere!

 

It is hard not to people watch when you aren’t doing a great deal, but it is so funny to watch two people, who may well be married but never spend more than an hour a day together in their usual busy lives; be thrown together for two whole weeks with not a lot else for distraction!  All the little niggles and insecurities come out, tempers fray and emotions are high and my god did these people keep us entertained!

 

We went to a couples hotel, (read - no children NOT swingers hotel please!) so we were surrounded by many many couples at all times in our resort.

 

Mr B and I are very lucky, we’re about to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary this year and we still get on ok quite well (I think!?).  There are times when Mr B works away, Monday – Friday and is only home weekends, sometimes he goes for two weeks at a time – so I do get quite used to being home alone, so when he comes home and makes a mess it is a little bit of a shock to the system, but doesn’t end in rows.  Although my two friends H and J know about my pile of clothes gripe! – That’s another story.

 

We always talk, (I'm a talker anyway!) and we always make time for each other (I'm conscious of falling fowl of a smug girl disaster here so I won’t say too much!) and generally we rub along quite nicely together.  So going on holiday and spending all that time together isn’t a massive shock to us, but of course – we aren’t perfect and don’t go without bickering from time to time.

 

It was so easy to spot these couples around the pool – these were the women throwing their men dirty looks, muttering in grunts under their breath and arguing about whether they had the right spot or the right bed.  I must say it was mostly the men on the receiving end of these gripes, but don’t get me wrong there are men arguers out there too.  I'm pretty sure if they knew people recognised their behaviour they would be embarrassed, but by and large I'm not sure they recognised the behaviour in themselves!  Even couples walking down the street passed us would be arguing, Mr B and I just fell about in laughter. (Once they had walked passed – I by no means want to make anyone feel bad!)

 

As well as being funny to watch, it did sadden me somewhat.  Think of all that time you’ve spent saving for your holiday, all that planning and this week or two of precious time to spend together and you spend it rowing!  So ladies, give your men a break, men if you are the arguer – give your lady a break and go and enjoy your time together. 

 

I was once told by a very lovely lady, ‘its so lovely you guys talk to each other all the time, a couple that can talk to each other at any time of the day or night, is a couple that will stay together’.  So remember, do talk to each other, do include each other in your lives and for the sake of your embarrassment keep the arguing to your room or at least quiet voices and not the buffet breakfast restaurant shouting at each other full pelt over the baked beans!  Or just suspend hostilities until you get home!

 

Ttfn, Sammy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment