Sunday 10 August 2014

A few things IBS sufferers might identify with...

So I've touched on it before, but I've suffered with chronic IBS since 2007.  I suffer with IBS-D, (diarrhoea problems), but there I'd also IBS-C (constipation) or IBS-A (alternating). Have been having a major relapse of late and am trying to see the funny side of it, so thought I'd come up with a list some people might identify with!

1. Wind.
Why am I always so full of wind! The problem isn't necessarily it coming out (either end... Both as embarrasing as each other), but the noises it makes rumbling around my tummy and the size I can swell up to is just amazing.  The problem with it coming out is not being sure if you should do it in the loo... Just in case!

2. Bread is the enemy.
As is most of everything else, pastry, onions, pasta, peppers, rice, cheese, milk... god I'm so bored of avoiding everything.

3. Always wearing trousers/skirts a size too big.
The possibility of them falling down is very real, but I need that extra size for when point #1 rears it's ugly head. My tummy has the most amazing swelling ability and I need the room just in case!

4. Always needing to know where the nearest loo is.
Being stuck in traffic on a motorway can be a close to the wind emergency situation, it sucks.  Not knowing where the loo is leads to all kinds of anxiety and makes the sitch worse I swear!  At cinemas I need to sit on the end seat so I can get out easily, same for plane journeys etc. it's just not worth not knowing where that nearest loo is!

5. The pain.
Oh god, why didn't anyone tell me about the pain? At time I feel like sometimes the scene from alien is occurring in my tummy. The faces I pull can be second to none and the groaning, well don't even get me started!  The pain cam keep me awake at night, can have me doubled over and can make me cry, it's just not fun.

6. Over sharing.
TMI at times, I know. I start with the... 'I suffer with my digestive system' and it ends up with 'awful upset stomach with such bad pain and constant vomit inducing feeling', and that's just for starters!  When I was younger it was so uncool to talk about your toilet habits, nowadays anyone that listens get to know!!

7. Hot flushes.
Sadly these aren't the power surges I've heard about. These are heart hammering, sweat beading on your top lip, bright red faced hot flushes that accompany the pain, bloating and the immediate need to rush to the loo.

8. The drs trips.
Well isn't going to the drs always fun, especially when they have absolutely no idea what to do with you. I spent a year going in once a week, convinced I was dying and no bugger would believe me. It wasn't until the end of that year did a dr actually take me seriously and send me for a colonoscopyto finally diagnose me with IBS.  He then retired and I'm back to the internet for cures!

9. Taking so many drugs I rattle.
I am now quite under control with my IBS, (apart from my current flare up) however to feel like this I take 3 prescription drugs a day (used to be 4 but a dodgy heartbeat put paid to the really good anti sickness pills 😔).  Living on Imodium is just amazing and if I don't take my cocktail of medicines, life is a very dark place indeed.  I am luckier than some, I know this, but oh to live drug free! 

10. Anxiety.
I am just anxious all the time, am I close enough to a loo? Does that gurgling mean the world is about to fall out of my bottom? Can I manage a coach trip or even a short journey in a car someone else is driving?

11. Exhaustion.
Being up all night in pain, up all morning with an upset tummy, feeling sick for the remainder of the day really wears me out.  I'm so tired my bones hurt.

There's loads of other points, I'm well aware... These are what just popped in to my head. High five if you're a sufferer like me or live with one or sympathise with one. Yes there are iller people out there, yes I should be more grateful I'm alive, trust me I am, but IBS can really get you down at times.

Thanks for reading, ttfn Sammy xx


No comments:

Post a Comment