Monday 2 June 2014

Welcome to my garden!

Well the last few years I've flirted with gardening, but it's no big secret that my fingers aren't as green as I think they should be! When Nan was here, we spent every Saturday going to a garden centre, it did involve tea and cake too, but we also spent time planning our gardens, buying things to plant and finding unusual things to look at.

We are very lucky, our garden us massive! We have a pylon in our garden (well 3 legs) and lots and lots of space. Over the years I've mainly grown veggies and a few flowers here and there and I even have two raised beds now!
A very unsunny picture!
The year Nan died, I did nothing with our garden at all, I wasn't enamoured by it and didn't want to spend any time out there. But last year, I relented a little, did a couple of hanging baskets and planted some strawberries.
This year I've grown some bits from seed, courgettes, squash and cucumber. Sown some carrots, parsnips and beetroot seeds, and planted a few flowers here and there. 
Strawberries in the bed (that needs a bit of DIY!), beetroot in the whiskey barrel and a courgette in the pot.
Lettuce in the window basket, some courgettes in the tray and flowers in the head!
Some cucumbers by the greenhouse.
Some flowers by the water butt!

I've not done any baskets this year, but I have managed to plant all my shrubs, to hide the wheelie bins (front garden) in the ground rather than them languishing in their pots, with the help of my lovely mum.
Half way through....
The finished article! 

I've managed to keep these plants alive for a few years now! The evergreen was a tiny 6 inch tall tree when I bought it!

Although the best thing about my garden currently is these.... 
We have a breeding pair of peregrine falcons on our pylon! They have babies and everything! 

We are becoming very boring about our birds (now named Fred and Wilma), we've been learning loads about them and have discovered there's only 1500 breeding pairs left in the UK.  We have our eyes trained on the pylon at all times and even mum and dad from their house have their binoculars trained on our pylon!  We are all self confessed twitchers!

We can't wait to see the babies fledge and are so pleased they have picked our pylon to nest in!

I'll keep you posted!

TTFN, Sammy xx




No comments:

Post a Comment